Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Obituaries: Doris Jean Henderson

Mimi took a turn for the worse at the beginning of April. It was amazing how she dwindled over the course of three weeks. The cancer had spread to her brain and was hindering her breathing. She was admitted to the hospital and I knew she was in a lot of pain. I also knew in my heart, her time would not be long. Her communication was jumbled and she was confused and frustrated. I had never seen cancer take the hold of someone so quickly.

I had a doctor's appointment scheduled on Wednesday and I wanted to ask the doctor if Wes and I could find out the sex of our baby. Our doctor usually waited until 22 weeks and I was only 20, but I really wanted her to know what we were having because reality had set in that she would not be here for the birth of our child. He agreed and we had the ultrasound. We were so excited to find out we were having a girl!!! Her name is Violet Jean Ward, Jean being Mimi's middle name. Even though I knew Mimi's state was dwindling, I could not wait to tell her.

Mimi was discharged from the hospital and sent home on a Thursday. I went to care for her and tell her about Violet on Friday morning. She looked so bad and miserable. I had not been able to understand a complete sentence from her in about 2 weeks. It broke my heart to see her this way. I went in and she recognized me. I told her about Miss Violet Jean Ward and she smiled and said "How cute." I was thrilled to get a coherent sentence. I had to leave early because we were going to St. Louis for a mini-vacation since I had been stressed taking care of Mimi and was about to start a new job. I went in her room to tell her goodbye, knowing this could be my last. I said, "I love you Mimi" and she said, "I love you too hon." That was it. Mimi passed away Monday morning while we were still in St. Louis. I miss her so much and I am very grateful God has given me Violet and a great job to keep me focused on the positive that life can give you.

I gave a eulogy at her service. I promised I was not going to cry, but as I went through the memories, the tears fell uncontrollably. Wes was there by my side and supported me to the fullest. He is the most wonderful husband and I could not feel luckier.

No comments:

Post a Comment